Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said an investigation by his office
revealed that an Oct. 1 house fire that claimed the life of a Catoosa County man was caused by careless smoking.
James Burnette, 70, was severely injured in the fire at 95 Green Lake Circle, Rossville, Ga. The investigation revealed that Burnette was smoking a cigarette in bed while using medical oxygen equipment, Hudgens said. He was transported to Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga, Tenn., where he later died.
The fire was reported around 2 a.m. The Catoosa County Fire Department extinguished the blaze